Thursday, July 19, 2007

Good news!

I mailed my first packet of writing to my advisor yesterday! It's not even going to be late. I don't even think the reading commentaries are terrible. Well, one of them is not great--I was so out of it by the time I finished. But all in all, I'm happy with what I sent.

And I'm really pretty happy with the first chapter. Of all the many versions I've written of it, I think this one is the best in several ways.
I was worried that the others were too light compared to the rest of the book. Also, since I now have committed to an underlying plot, I was able to foreshadow its discovery. So, all in all, I think it's not going to be too embarrassing for Pete to see it.

Also, last week the director of the program sent out an email telling us that the Atlantic Monthly had listed Pacific as one of the top five low residency MFA programs in the country. It's listed with Antioch, Vermont, Bennington and Warren Wilson. This made me feel great because one of the dilemmas I was having in making a choice between the programs that accepted me was the prestige factor. Not that I care that much about prestige actually, but I wanted it to help me get a job when I'm done. So now I've ended up in a program that I really like, where I totally fit in, and there is this added bonus.

My box of books from the residency arrived yesterday, sent to me by the wonderful Amber Vanzant. Inside was a card from Amber and Shelley. It made me really happy.

So now I just have to catch up on my work at the office and life will be perfect. :)

No comments: