Friday, January 4, 2008

Spring 2008 residency

If you can call this spring... It's only just winter. At any rate, I'm leaving tomorrow for Portland to spend the night with Abby at her sister's house in Vancouver. She's going to pick me up at the airport and then we're going to rent a car so we can drive around Portland as we please. This will be great since I've never really been there.

Then on Sunday afternoon, we'll drop off the rental car and Linda, one of our other roommates from the summer residency, is going to pick us up on her way to Seaside. Our residency this time is on the coast instead of on campus. I think they do it this way because classes are in full swing and probably all the dorm rooms are occupied. So we get to go to a hotel on the beach.

Weather.com says it's going to be rainy there, though warmer than it is here. As long as I'm not cold, I don't mind.

I'm co-teaching a class on the first day of actual classes. I believe it's at 2:45 in the afternoon.

I'll try to blog in shorter but more regular chunks than I did in the summer. I expect it to be slower paced, because I've already decided that I'm not going to try to do as much as I did in the summer. While my roomies were sometimes sleeping in, I went to everything. I'm going to look at the schedule and decide what I will and won't go to ahead of time.

I will still get up at 5, but hopefully can get to bed a little earlier. I'd like to avoid repeating the blathering of nonsense I did on the last day of the summer residency when I was so sleep deprived I couldn't make a coherent sentence and had to set my alarm clock twenty-seven times, knowing each time that something was wrong, but unable to figure out what. In the end, my alarm didn't go off and I was late to meet my ride to the airport, babbled incoherently, and screamed at the top of my lungs because I couldn't find my suitcase which was behind my room door. Right where I put it the night before. Yes, all this is to be avoided, so this time, more sleep,a little more food, and less mayhem. No matter what John Rember says about how "you're only here for ten days--go to everything," don't listen to him. Really. Go to most things. Remember that ten days short of sleep and constantly running leads to madness. This is my current mantra.

No comments: