Tuesday, January 8, 2008

So far so good

Well, Ive been in Oregon for three days. The first day I spent at Abby's sister's house. It was great.We went to a cat sanctuary where Abby used to volunteer. I fell in love wth a cat who reminded me of Nefertum. He was very friendly. I would have triedf to convince Marc that we should adopt him if only hnly we lived closer to him. I would hate to make a cat fly for so long.

On Sunday, we met Linda who drove up from Bend. Fortunately she has a four wheel drive because we had to drive through the mountains in a snow storm. Many people were off the road, but we were like the eveready bunny.

Yesterday was te first day of classes. I co-taught a class yesterday and it went really well. MOre than twice the number of people that we had wanted signed up for it, so we had to modify it some. We didn't have time to do individual work on their own stuff, only on the stuff that w had prepared.

Food is not nearly as good as during the summer residency. Finally, last jight we went to the grocery store, so hopefully I am set.

WE all hae our own rooms and the hallways here are godforsakenly cold, unheated. This leads to some degree of isolation. I had hoped to be next door to jy summer roomates, but we're all on different floors. Abby and Linda have beautiful rooms with fireplaces, kitchenettes and ocean views. By the luck of the draw, Deb and I have normal rooms. But we've been getting together in Abby's room for meals and just to chat when we have time.

I started out this residency exausted and sick, and I am really tired nmow. Yesterday there were two clases besides ours, plus the readings at night. Workshops start today, so it's going to get busier. There was some really good writing submitted to workshop.

Pete Fromm talked about convertig a short story into a screenplay. A story of his has been made into a film, whih he wrote the screenplay for. We watched the film. It was good. (Could I be anymore profound?)

I just looked at the schedule and saw that I have myself doing nothing after lunch until 7:30. I think I'll come back and go to bed. I feel terrible But now I need to get ready to go out and have breakfast in Abby's room.

No comments: