Monday, January 14, 2008

Lost Weekend

I've been remiss. It's just been so hard to keep everything together and so I haven't been blogging. If I've learned one thing a bout my writing and what people think of it through this residency, it's that imagination in more important than knowledge. True, it's good that I can make pretty good sentences, but what affects people ,ost about my writing is the strangeness of it.Strangeness is the word that DL used in his critique.

So I have Molly Gloss as an advisor this time. I'm pretty excited to work with her. Today she and I are going to meet and talk about making maps.

I am going to have to work harder than I did last semester because I will only have three weeks in between packets instead of four. It looks like the summer semester is about three weeks longer than the winter one.

I have been thinking about writing again, though. Its really hard to write while here because so much is going on. Also, I haven't had as much energy as I did last time and I've been taking it easy. Last night I went to bed at 8 and slept in until 6 this morning. The previous two nights I had found myself falling asleep during the faculty readings, which really is too bad. I'm still sick and will have to go back to the doctor when I get home.

This residency has given me some new tools and some new insights into my own work. I have a more concrete idea of what I need to work on while getting the story down.

Yesterday I was inspired to write a poem in listening to Marvin Bell's lecture called Poetry A-Z. I think I will use it as my review of his talk.

This is all so vague, I know.

Remember the elevator story about David Long? Well, now I like him and he doesn't think I'm a weirdo anymore. Turns out he taght in the Poets in Schools program an was actually teaching in my high school during the time I was there. He taught one of my English teachers. So that was cool to find out. Small world.

Maybe I will get my wish to work with him after all. We'll see what happens.

Can I say here that I am grateful to the universe for my weird brain? Thanks whoever is responsible for my imagination, in spite of the fact that it allows me to imagine all sorts of paranoid crap sometimes. Without it, where would I be?

No comments: