Friday, June 20, 2008

Schmooz and Cruise

We arrived at te residency yesterday. The whole Fab Four arrived together since Deb flew in at 7:30 yesterday morning and came over to Abby's sister's house to sleep, and then Linda came to pick the three of us up in the afternoon.

We arrived at our room which is just down the hall from where we were last year, unpacked and went grocery shopping. Then we had dinner together, each of us eating different stuff.

Deb and I are in the same workshop and we had arranged for everyone in our workshop to meet up in advance. There was already a social hour planned for all students and faculty, so we just met there early. I think it was a good idea. Now we are more relaxed together.

After we'd been there a while, all the other people in the program started showing up. I introduced Molly to everyone and I introduced David Long to two new guys in our workshop. (Molly and David are our workshop leaders.)

[Hahahaha. I can hear one of my roommates snoring through the wall. (I won't name names. She might kill me. )]

And finally, I talked to Pete. We talked for a while.

I felt very social, but I think it's because I had a purpose. My purpose (self-defined) was to make sure the new people got to meet everyone.

I saw Felicity and Mindie, and as it turns out they are in te same room only a couple of doors down from us.

This is going to be a good residency. I can tell already.

Today we start lectures. Linda said there wasn't that muc going on today, but I have to teach with Julie Rember at 4:00, so it's going to seem like a lot to me until that happens.

I don't know what's on the schedule. I think I want to corner --well, not corner, but yeah, find and convince to chat--Claire Davis. I wanted to talk to her last time. There was kind of a faux pas last time in that after my worshop session with her, I was talking about it in the lunch line and it turned out she was sitting right near where we were. I actually wasn't saying anything about what I thought. I had just said, "You should have eard my husband wen I told him. He said, "What a lot of horseshit." And at that exact moment, she and I looked right at each other. I was planning to go talk to her and clear the air, but she had to leave early and before I could find her, she was gone. So, I want to do it now and maybe she and I can come to a meeting of the minds.

My romom is all arranged and I have some books on my shelf: Octavia Butler, Ursula Le Guin, and Robert Holdstock, right next to a cookbook about meat. (That's a present for Marc.)

No comments: