Friday, November 9, 2007

On Becoming a Writer

I'm no expert, so I can only give my opinion about what the experts say. The experts--not to use the ambiguous "they"--are writers of note and teachers of writing and, arguably, critics.

There are two universal things that these people say about learning to write good, meaningful fiction.

1. Read.
2. Write.

It's that simple, and that complicated.

One caveat could be added to number 1. That is, be careful what you read. It will influence the way you write and the way you think.

So why is going to school, getting an advanced degree in writing useful? Why can't anyone become a writer just by following these two steps. It's clearly possible to become a writer without going to school. Many people have done so, probably most writers of note, in fact. But school provides a few advantages, so for those who pooh pooh the idea of an MFA in writing, here's what I am getting out of my schooling.

It's true that I could read books on my own and did, of course, and still do. It's true that I could write on my own, and I did that, too. But in spite of years of practice, I lacked confidence in my work. My confidence has grown immensely under the tutelage of professional literary writers and in the company of others who love books and writing. I have seen that I fit into the world of people with imagination who can sit for hours and spin a story for the joy of it. I have seen that in the judgment of others, the words that end up on paper when I am done, are for the most part interesting and worth reading. And, very importantly, I have gained perspective by listening to others talk about my writing and yreading the writing of others who are working to become writers. It's somehow easier to see your own errors when you see them in the work of someone else first.

Of course, as Robert Peake said somewhere on his blog, an MFA program is what you make it. If you just skim by and do the minimum you can, your degree will be a piece of paper with words on it. (OK, I'm paraphrasing him. He didn't really say that exact thing.) But if you decide that you really want to get the most out of it that you can, an MFA can be a series of mentorships with great writers. It can teach you to fish and introduce you to a community of fisherpeople who will help you get up every morning for the rest of your life and get in the boat. Once you're there, there's a good chance you will catch some fish.

No comments: