Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Happy Birthday to my Mom

My mom has been a very big contributor to my interest in writing. She took me to the library to get a library card when I was just five years old. She used to read to me when I was little. Not just kids' books. No, she read things like Tarzan and the Count of Monte Cristo to me way before I was old enough to understand them. Which served to make me vow that I would read them myself when I was older. She went to the school library and checked books out for me when I had chicken pox (and mumps...), including The Secret Garden. She bought me books like Huckleberry Finn as birthday presents.

And if you were there at the residency this summer, you will recall David Long's talk: A Writer is a Reader Moved to Emulation. Well, my mom taught me to love books. Of course, this has lead directly to me being so busy with school that I haven't had a chance to send her a birthday card. Oops. Sorry.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: