Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Travel Arrangements

I'm flying into Portland on Thursday. My plan had been to take the train to the end of the line and then call the school for a shuttle to come and pick me up. This afternoon I got an email from Amber, the administrator, telling me that two faculty writers would be arriving in Portland at the same time as I am and asking if I would like to catch a ride in the shuttle that will be picking them up from the airport.

I said yes, of course!

It turns out that the writers are Ellen Bass and Pattiann Rogers, two poets. It's a big bonus for me, I think. I'll get to meet people ahead of time and I will also get to have the real life experience of looking for someone standing in an airport holding a sign.

Tomorrow I'll be doing last minute, pre-trip stuff and, doubtless, getting really nervous. I can tell I'm going to have to go through a brief phase--due to shock, introversion, or having inadvertently used superglue instead of toothpaste-- of not being able to string a sentence together. But hopefully you won't have to see that part. It won't be pretty.

No comments: